Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cirque du Soleil: Kooza


Although it's not dance, Kooza offered such creativity and artistry it deserves a post. This was my first experience with Cirque du Solei and I was impressed, not just with the acrobatics, but with the integration of a story line throughout. The story follows a lonely clown and his journey through a magical world where he finds friends and confidence. 

Besides the usual tiperope routine, the show offered some unusual acts, like a Unicycle Duo who performed a pas de deux on wheels. How he could balance his partner and flip her above his head and ride around the stage in circles I will never know.

Some of the best moments of the performance where watching the clown king and his court jesters interact with the audience. One woman had a chair that was attached to a hydraulic lift system and she went high into the air laughing hysterically. That was probably the best moment of the show, because she had no idea what was going on.

The contortionists put me in pain in my seat. It was beautiful to watch them unfold and fold into each other with such strength, but all I could think about was their poor lumbar vertebrae. I have a stress fracture in my fourth lumbar because of dance, and I can only think of the pain they might have in the future.

But what a show, filled with a beautiful interplay of music, acting and acrobatics. Kooza is on a national tour so take an evening off and get ready to be amazed.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment